My dad got me a MK5 kit for Christmas after my MK4 broke for the 3rd
time in a few months (PTFE insulators are annoying—I think my
thermistor table was wrong). I have since put it together and am
currently printing out the Holiday Prusa Mendel on Thingiverse with it. Talk about
the gift that keeps on giving! :)
However, there were some problems I noticed:
- Thermistor read wrong temps—ABS now likes to melt at 200C
- Solder joints on power resistors melt partially when running at 200C
- The online instructions for putting it together didn't account for
certain changes in the kit; for instance, it comes with two crimp
connectors that are never explained.
I did make some improvements, however:
- Added thermal paste between power resistors and aluminum block
- Epoxy used to glue together base-plates to the legs of the extruder
My current grievances:
- I don't like that the solder joints are melting and cooling—I don't
want to have the risk of breathing in those bad fumes.
- Teflon on nozzle is coming off tip
- If it doesn't work flawlessly, at least it works a lot more reliably
than the MK4!
Interesting things I noticed today while writing this:
- The server is running quite quickly...
- The 5.1MP Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93 I used to take the picture in this
post (I got it for free from a friend of my dad) has hardly any image
sensor noise. This is amazing compared to the amount of sensor noise in
my 5.0MP Canon PowerShot S2 IS (consumer-grade DSLR).