Cyrozap's Tech Projects

Computers. Circuits. Code.

Wordpress Admin Errors

I was having EXACTLY the same errors as this guy—basically, none of the javascript elements in Wordpress were working, ex. Check All Checkboxes, multi-file uploader, text in the post editor was "invisible," etc.

How I fixed it:

  1. Delete all the files & folders in your "wp-includes" folder.
  2. Re-upload all the files & folders in the "wp-includes" folder.
  3. If any of the files failed to transfer, put them back in the transfer queue and send them again.

SUCCESS!

Server Upgrade Finally Complete!

I finally did it! The new server has all the parts that used to be in my old gaming machine, but it has the same HDDs as before (because I'm too lazy and cheap to get it a 1 TB SATA drive and image it from the old drives). For some reason, one of the NICs on the motherboard is present in the OS and activated in the BIOS but doesn't light up when a network cable is inserted. Oh, well; it has two, so it's no big deal. It also decided not to keep its network settings after a reboot, so I put the dhclient command in the /etc/init.d/rc.local file. Everything works now. There's a possibility that this will also be a TF2 server in the near future.

New-old server specs:

  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
  • ROG Crosshair II Formula Motherboard
  • 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM
  • 10 GB 5400rpm OS drive
  • 80 GB 7200rpm Data Drive
  • 430W Antec Earthwatts 80 Plus PSU

I'll definitely be posting to the blog a lot more now that the server won't hang every time I publish a post!

Flickr Support is AWESOME!

It took a few months working on this on and off, but I finally severed my Flickr ID "cyrozap" from my Yahoo! account!

I can now log in with my Google account and keep my screen name (cyrozap) and my custom URL! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

WordPress For iOS Version 2.7 Beta

Well, the 2.7 Beta of WordPress for iOS fixes a major problem I had with v2.6.6. How? Before, the app kept giving me grief over my self-signed SSL certificate. Today, I decided to install the beta by checking out the SVN trunk and compiling the app for my iPhone (and then self-signing that and installing it on my jailbroken device). FYI, this post was written in the now-usable WordPress for iOS app on my iPhone 4.

Expect the number of posts (and the number of posts with pictures) to increase dramatically. Hey, maybe I'll be able to surpass the number of posts MakerBlock averages monthly (if I ever upgrade my server)!

What I Did Today

I...

  • Started using Skeinforge 35 (with issues)
  • Fixed a 17" Dell LCD
  • Played TF2

Correction:
I also made the Whistlehookopener. (Thanks, MakerBlock, I almost forgot!)

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey.

It's a good idea to remember this when installing Intel's stock heatsink for LGA1366 Core i7 processors. First turn the pegs to the left, then push down on a peg and then turn it to the right. Repeat for the other pegs.

I only figured this out AFTER my i7-950 was idling at 55C and maxing out at 99C (it's supposed to idle between 40 and 50C and max out between 80 and 90C). It's always good to check if your heatsink is seated all the way BEFORE you start using your computer.

I do enjoy my new rig, though.

Intel Core i7-950 Processor
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
Corsair 3 x 2GB Triple-channel DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Early Christmas Gifts Are Awesome

The MK5 parts kit!

My dad got me a MK5 kit for Christmas after my MK4 broke for the 3rd time in a few months (PTFE insulators are annoying—I think my thermistor table was wrong). I have since put it together and am currently printing out the Holiday Prusa Mendel on Thingiverse with it. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! :)

However, there were some problems I noticed:
- Thermistor read wrong temps—ABS now likes to melt at 200C
- Solder joints on power resistors melt partially when running at 200C
- The online instructions for putting it together didn't account for certain changes in the kit; for instance, it comes with two crimp connectors that are never explained.

I did make some improvements, however:
- Added thermal paste between power resistors and aluminum block
- Epoxy used to glue together base-plates to the legs of the extruder holder

My current grievances:
- I don't like that the solder joints are melting and cooling—I don't want to have the risk of breathing in those bad fumes.
- Teflon on nozzle is coming off tip

Final thoughts:
- If it doesn't work flawlessly, at least it works a lot more reliably than the MK4!

Interesting things I noticed today while writing this:
- The server is running quite quickly...
- The 5.1MP Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93 I used to take the picture in this post (I got it for free from a friend of my dad) has hardly any image sensor noise. This is amazing compared to the amount of sensor noise in my 5.0MP Canon PowerShot S2 IS (consumer-grade DSLR).

Hack a Day Classifieds really work!

Well, the DIY-intosh sold! I bet you're all rejoicing that I won't be trying to pawn off my stuff on you for a while. It's really amazing how it sold within a few days of listing it.

In other news, I fixed up a 19" 4:3 aspect ratio VGA monitor with composite, coax TV, and SCART inputs (it's some Samsung 910-something). It only needed 6 capacitors replaced, totaling $3.40 + $2 shipping (or something like that). Seeing as I bought the thing for $17, this makes it a steal. It also only has one grey pixel! This is why I work with hardware!

Sorry about the server downtime! That was ratherĀ embarrassing...

New Workbench/MakerBot Setup

So cool...

Well, I got a new workbench. Now that my thermal barrier has arrived, I can get to work repairing my extruder—at my new workbench! Then I can start printing cool stuff again!